Manta Robotics Information
Company Overview: Manta Robotics performs the internal portion of the American Petroleum Institute (API) 653 robotic inspections of above ground petrochemical storage tanks. This is performed while they are “in-service” and full of product. Manta employs a “Purged and Pressurized” (see certification) robot. The Floor Inspection Robot surveys tank floor bottoms with Ultrasonic Transducers (UT).
Industry Problem: Current industry practice requires petrochemical tanks to be taken “out-of-service” , emptied of the contents, gas-freed, cleaned, and then inspected. The cleaning process creates “hazardous waste” and releases into the atmosphere CO2 and other “volatile organic compounds” (VOCs). Finally, “confined space entry” in a hazardous environment jeopardizes the safety of workers.
Solution: Robotic inspection solves the tank owners’ problem with four main benefits.
- Saves money:
- Delays taking the tank “out-of-service” until the tank needs repairs.
- Saves time:
- Conventional inspections take 3 to 4 weeks during cleaning and repairs whereas a robotic inspection takes less than a week for a 150 foot diameter tank.
- Environmentally friendly:
- Avoids the release of CO2 and VOCs into the atmosphere.
- Eliminates the need for a confined space entry.
- No “hot work” required around confined spaces.